Tuesday, May 2, 2017

The Lo Down - 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher Book Review

Hey Guys and Dolls,

The latest book I've managed to finish reading is 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I started this book in and around two weeks ago and I really enjoyed it, I seriously couldn't put it down. My Dad bought this book for me in my favourite bookshop in Dublin, Hodges and Figgis. I never leave that place without a new book or two.
I started this book right away and as I've said above I couldn't put it down. The book itself focuses on the difficult topic of mental health and suicide. I've done a couple of posts about my experience with ill mental health and of course I know how much a big epidemic it is all over the world. I think alot more should be done to support people that are suffering from mental health issues as for some it will be the hardest fight of their life.

13 Reasons Why is told through the two main characters Clay and Hannah. Sadly at the beginning of the book you learn that Hannah has lost her life to suicide. I don't particularly like the world commited as it sounds like you commited a crime or something. Hannh was at a difficult time in her life with school and life in general and she feels in the end that her only option is taking her own life. No one should ever feel that way and this should never be the only option available. I've learned in my life that suicide is a long term solution for a short term problem. Everything in life is fixable and I myself may have taken a while to realise that but it's definitely true.

Back to the story, Clay receives a box in the mail which includes inside 13 cassette tapes that documents 13 Reason Why Hannah Baker killed herself. Some parts of this book gave me the chills and it is hard to read but at the end of the day I feel like 13 Reasons Why focused on alot of issues that need to be talked about in our society right now. We are seriously losing too many teenagers and young adults to suicide every week and this needs to change. No one should be a statistic!

I really recommend giving this book a read if you get the chance and definitely let me know what you think. You can't really go anywhere these days without seeing negative feedback about the Netflix's 13 Reasons Why tv adaptation. I haven't watched the full season yet so I don't want to give my review of the show but I will be doing one very soon. I can say I do like it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the lovely comments!!! I enjoy reading them:D

I always try to reply to them so check back soon!

If you have any questions regarding any aspect of my blog e.g if you want to see any particular post etc., don't hesitate to email me on laura-a-mc-k@hotmail.com <3